Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: As ignorant as one can be - my journey with the A7

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Junior Hostboard Member donberry's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 6th, 2018
    Posts
    13
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    As ignorant as one can be - my journey with the A7

    I thought I'd just start a new thread as my questions will be running the gamut. Summary - having bought 2 Altec 9440A's, while researching those I unknowingly caught Altec fever and purchased a pair of A7 in Atlanta without having a clue what was in them and also as ignorant as one can be on horns or any Altec speaker. The seller just told me his father bought them new, bowtie427ss pinpointed them to a pair of 1959 A7's that had been inverted.
    Getting the back off wasn't too easy, turned out there was a sheet of veneer over a few screws on one of them, looks as tho they may have put veneer over all the screws in the other. On the one off so far, the HF driver was the 802D, the LF driver the 803B and then 811B horns. Both have the N-800-D network divider, one of them also had a N-1600-C - popular opinion is they at one time toyed with 3 way.
    All caught up now.

    The LF drivers. Only got the one out of the cabinet, was assuming the other was the same since supposedly bought new but I noticed something different about them today. The one I got out has your typical dust cover on it. Straightening out what I'm pretty sure was screwed up wiring and flipping the cabs to see how they sound this way, I noticed the dust cover on what I assumed was another 803B in the speaker I haven't yet got the back off of yet is completely different than the one I did get out. You can't tell from the picture but the inner circle is just a screen, I can see down inside the coil. My 1st thought was maybe it's been re-coned but if it has been, if not done by the factory someone highly skilled did it as it sure looks original. Have to wonder if they used different dust caps on the 803B, if a different series, at some point maybe this was a replacement driver ?
    Any info is appreciated as always - tho it looks like it's pushed in in the pic, it's not, probably be hard to since it's just screen
    C2AmHho.jpg

    Ignorant as I am, pretty sure the wiring was not right. They had the woofer connected to the N-1600-C and the HF driver on that speaker was just loosely wrapped and taped around terminal 4 while on the other speaker with just the N-800-D the wire was soldered on terminal 2. Guessing they were experimenting with the one speaker and when they tired of that, just left everything as it was. I need to clean off the horrific soldering on both N-800-D's but for now I just want to experiment with how they sound flipped over as it seems they were originally, just setting the horn on top for now.
    Finishing up with the 2nd one now, will give it a listen for a while, difference in dust caps was bugging me tho.
    As if I don't have enough to research and learn already, am going to wait until they are home but let's just say this may not be the only Altec speakers I own here in a couple of days.

  2. #2
    Junior Hostboard Member donberry's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 6th, 2018
    Posts
    13
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: As ignorant as one can be - my journey with the A7

    Just a quick ok, I get it. Wiring straightened out for the most part, speaker flipped with LF on top, HF simply sitting on cabinet - experimenting with different terminals - far from perfect but the potential can't be missed. Listening to various high res digital files, on Cat Stevens Father & Son I heard parts of the guitar in the background I've never heard before and I'm partial to my other speakers, a pair of MartinLogan SL3. At the moment they are still far better but I'm talking about components simply sitting on top of the cabinet, no padding in the cabs etc - guessing when the A7 are more completed, each will have different strengths, each serve different need of my ear.
    I get the Altec love now tho in the potential I've been listening to for the last hour or so.
    Also think I now also see why these always seem to be a work in progress for many.....

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member gdmoore28's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 25th, 2014
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    160
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: As ignorant as one can be - my journey with the A7

    Hi Don,

    The woofer in the picture with the screen under the hole in the dust cap is the way they should look. Are you saying that the other woofer is missing the screen? Or has a solid dust cap? Let's see a pic of the other woofer cone. I gotta say, it's a lot of fun watching your discoveries!

    GeeDeeEmm

  4. #4
    Junior Hostboard Member donberry's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 6th, 2018
    Posts
    13
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: As ignorant as one can be - my journey with the A7

    well now that I know it's how it should be, I can see they added this dust cover. From the looks of it, something damaged the cone and must have damaged the dust cap so they added this one
    sVcQe1r.jpg

    I'm probably moving to Mexico so may have to make a decision to go smaller so I bought those 838B's that Old Guy posted a link to for $400 - or just buy a trailer from harbor freight to haul everything down there. I'm picking the 838B's up Tuesday. Seller was great, holding them for me (or else no one else was interested lol ) These should do it Altec speaker wise, now need to get the altec amps working

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Re: As ignorant as one can be - my journey with the A7

    Nice score on the Carmels! Had they been something more reasonable than a 12-14 hour round trip i might have pulled that trigger myself.

    If you;re going to buy a trailer for your move, give strong consideration to an enclosed trailer. You'll have far superior protection from the elements, and you'd be surprised how handy the lockable storage will be while you settle into new digs. When your need is over, send it back where you found it, the land of craigslist.
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

  6. #6
    Junior Hostboard Member donberry's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 6th, 2018
    Posts
    13
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: As ignorant as one can be - my journey with the A7

    8 1/2 hour drive for me. Changed it to picking them up Wednesday. Nice of him to hold on to them for me.
    For a trailer, yes, wouldn't even consider one not enclosed. Trailers cost a fortune, guess harbor freight doesn't sell theirs any more. Northern Tool has one for $239. I figured buy it, build box out of plywood on it. Has to make one long trip, just paint it, that would protect wood long enough. Obviously would have to check into cost of plywood etc but while I haven't priced them, I bet a box trailer that speakers would fit in be $700 and up used.
    I'm just happy u said good score - hearing u say that confirms it........

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.